How can I leave specific items to particular people?

Generally there are two ways that you can specifically leave items in your will to persons that are going to inherit from you. The first is by a specific bequeath. You include the name in the will of the person who’s going to receive this specific item, for instance, a specific piece of property.


There’s a second way and it’s enforceable out of courts and that's have a personal property memorandum. This is an item that is kept with your will and overtime, as you develop ownership of things that may not be important enough to change your will, you simply add them to your will. For instance, if you have a special bracelet or a watch or a ring that you want to leave to a family member, you will write it on your memorandum, leave it with your will and the personal representative is duty bound to carry out your instructions and to make sure that property after you pass is given to the person named in the memorandum.

Related Questions
Please reload

The hiring of a lawyer is an important decision that should not be based solely on advertisements. Before you decide, ask us to send you free written information about our qualifications and experience by contacting us online or by phone at 850-650-7378.

© 2020 by Greg D. Crosslin.

Proudly created with

  • LinkedIn Social Icon
  • YouTube Social Icon